A program fault has been recorded in the log
Home arrow Forum

Remository Forum

baijianpeng

Custom Fields and Custom search criterias - 2009/02/28 07:24 Is it possible to allow the user adding custom fields?

Adding a new option for search is also welcomed: users can specify which fields are searchable, the visitors can choose his favorite search criteria from a drop down list at frontend.

Thanks.
http://www.joomlagate.com

Chinese Joomla! Users' Portal
  | | Sorry, you do not currently have permission to write here.
admin

Re:Custom Fields and Custom search criterias - 2009/03/01 19:24 I'm not sure if this is really appropriate for Glossary. One of its merits is that it is a simple system for recording terms and their definitions. What sort of additional fields should it have? Martin Brampton aka Counterpoint
http://aliro.org
http://black-sheep-research.com
baijianpeng

Re:Custom Fields and Custom search criterias - 2009/03/04 19:32 Someone want to build a powerful dictionary-like glossary with Glossary component.

For example, like a dictionary, a term has some attributes other than the Definition (description), we can say a word is a noun, or a verb. At the same time, we hope the Noun and Verb field may be a filter/search criteria. (sorry for my bad English).

Of course, Glossary component is enough for a simple terms collection. But if we want to build a more complicated online dictionary, it needs the feature of adding custom fields.

Thanks.
http://www.joomlagate.com

Chinese Joomla! Users' Portal
Ray

Re:Custom Fields and Custom search criterias - 2011/08/29 05:28 I would also love to see custom fields added.

I coordinate a volunteer translation project (currently) supporting 85 languages and am trying to set up a multi-lingual Glossary with the primary source language (English) Glossary as the basis for all other glossaries. Since the purpose of this effort is to provide non-native English speakers with as much information as possible about the terms we need to present, it's important that we can provide information for each term/phrase such as part of speech, contextual example(s), closely related synonyms (for when no such term exists in the second language), the ever-so-important "Translation" field/column needed for each language team's conversion of the English term/phrase and a 'Notes' area for any special considerations that need to be shared with the other language teams. Without this ability, I'm afraid that this otherwise great Joomla component (seemingly the best available) will not be able to serve our needs.

As a second request, it would be wonderful if there was a way for me to add some informational text to the top area of each individual Glossary, just below the Title field, but above the Search function. By providing a text area individually for each glossary, we would be able to provide important information that is specific for each glossary focus.

Finally, are there plans to make Glossary Joomfish-friendly? Again, we're currently supporting 85 different languages and these folks would love to see the entire site in their native languages, minus any content that they are in the process of translating.

Post edited by: Ray, at: 2011/08/30 06:24
stmatth

Re:Custom Fields and Custom search criterias - 2011/09/09 19:34 Hello Ray, I can't speak for the developer, but I know the code a bit from trying to modify it to my own needs, and it looks to me as if your needs would require a lot changes in glossary, so I don't think this will happen anytime soon.

Also I think yours is quite a special case, so I don't know if glossary (as a general glossary component) should/can be changed to accommodate all this. I don't know the details of your project, but I think I got the picture of what you have in mind. I would probably try to solve this with standard Joomla setup, not a special plugin, because you have more control and if it is really important for your work, depending on a specific plugin can be problematic (who knows, it may just disappear...).

Can you not try to implement it just as normal Joomla articles? Make a section or category for your glossary articles and fill it with ordinary articles, each containing all the info you need, and different language versions of the same term can be implemented with Joomfish. Alternatively make a section "glossary" with categories for each of your languages. In these articles you have much more flexibility and can link to other entries more easily, whether it's in the same language or in other languages. 'Your request about a custom text at the top for each glossary would just be the category info.

One major thing that you would lose is the alphabet. On the other hand, category tables have a filter (at least in the templates I use) so people can still easily find articles by title (=term).

Hope this helps...
Stephan
Stephan Matthiesen - Science-Texts: editorial team for scientific texts
Ray

Re:Custom Fields and Custom search criterias - 2011/11/14 05:37 Hi Stephan,
Sorry for the delay in replying and thanks a lot for yours.

Yes, I could do all of that, but it's far from the elegant smplicity I was hoping to achieve for the teams with Glossary. In pulling together all of the terms & phrases that have caused translation issues for 'any' of the 84 languages we support, the result makes for a LOT of article pages to create & maintain.

Still, if it's my only option, I suppose that's what we'll end up doing, at least temporarily. Joomfish could handle the translated items, but the idea here is to have the terms, definitions, contextual usage, synonyms, etc. in English and have the team-determined 'best-translation choice' be in the native language. We'll figure out something that works until we 'roll our own' (I just started up a new Linguistic FOSS Support Team to focus on building some language/translation-specific server-side apps that do not seem to exist yet, paid or otherwise).

Save FM Radio

Login

Subscribe to Premium Support

Get priority support for Remository and Glossary, sign up now for a Premium Support monthly subscription:

Your Remository user name

Or purchase a year's support:

Your Remository user name