Home arrow Forum

Remository Forum

vltpk26

Upgrading Rem3.53 in Joomla 1.5.26 to Joomla 2.5+ - 2012/05/29 09:25 I would like to somehow Upgrade+move our wonderful Remository 3.53 to the latest Remository version and upgrade it from its present Joomla 1.5.26 to the latest Joomla on Linux which is at this writing on the rack where we host at is Joomla 2.5.4 (GoDaddy)

We have been plagued by gargantuan database sizes, ~ 1GB for quite small pdf + some other types of document counts and sizes. We have avoided putting in any of our own small video clips [internal documentation] for storage (even a few megs, they are that small) due to the exploding site sizes with the current largely pdf only files.

We have been using basic Akeeba core backup for a long time and a previous version caused mushrooming backup sizes with Remository too. I never found a work around to bring the db+site size down to something resembling a web site and file system 'more reasonable' for the comparatively small amount of data being stored in it. We have followed what we understood to be the recommended best practices type of security procedures in Remository, to store the files inside the database.

I would like to move to a safer+easier and less breakage prone Joomla 2.5, but this is working and I cannot take the risk of trashing the system due to my truly inexpert db and coding skills. Joomla 1.5x is about to be discontinued, so that is a worrysome situation, of course.

We are also running it on https: / SSL, which adds certain factors.

Is there a way to modernize it safely - move it to Joomla 2.5+ and the latest version of Remository, and do it cleanly+safely without risking hard coding things inside that will cause nightmares later on or fiddling with creating obscure tables that only top experts know about (such as I have read about), please?

Or unfortunately, is the current answer to leave it, keep repairing antique Joomla, and hope someday there will be a clean and error free upgrade solution?
>>>Thank you for your patient advice
  | | Sorry, you do not currently have permission to write here.
admin

Re:Upgrading Rem3.53 in Joomla 1.5.26 to Joomla 2.5+ - 2012/06/28 09:14 I'm not clear whether Akeeba correctly handles Remository. If you have your files in the database, it should be sufficient to migrate the database tables to the new web server without any change. Then install Remository into the new site.

There is no reason why the files should take much more space in the database than in the file system.

A possible way to clean up the database (if it is file storage that is a problem) would be to go through each container, setting an absolute path for the container to point to a suitable location in the file system. Remository will move all the files to the file system. Then reverse the process to restore the files to the database.
Martin Brampton aka Counterpoint
http://aliro.org
http://black-sheep-research.com
  | | Sorry, you do not currently have permission to write here.

Save FM Radio

Login

Subscribe to Premium Support

Get priority support for Remository and Glossary, sign up now for a Premium Support monthly subscription:

Your Remository user name

Or purchase a year's support:

Your Remository user name