Home arrow Forum

Remository Forum

mpetrie

Admin Panel Suggestions - 2010/10/22 00:19 From spending some time some 60 terms today, there are a few back-end changes that could have made the task easier:

1. CSV or similar import (would need the fields defined)

2. If, on the Control Panel screen, the four icons were in the usual icon area it would match the other screens in layout, and by putting them to the left they could stay there permanently allowing quicker switching between functions - only the lower area changing as necessary

3. In the Glossaries list it would be helpful to have the usual published one click icon - I realise that this can be done from the icon bar at the top. It would also be helpful to have a column showing the number of entries in each glossary.

4. In the Entries screen, again the one-click publish icon per row. Should the aliass and related terms be listed?

5. In the Edit Entry screen, the lower group of fileds could be made narrower and put to the right of the upper group. Then, below this, you could have a filterable and scrollable list of existing definitions to allow copy and paste or cross referencing.

6. In RD_Glossary, there were fields for Term, Category, Definition, and Comment. As an example: CRT, Opto-electronics, Cathode Ray Tube, a vacuum tube in which a hot cathode emits a beam of electrons that pass through a high voltage anode and are focused or deflected before hitting a phosphorescent screen. In the currrent version the Deffinition and Comment have to be merged, which makes styling harder. I think it would be better if they were split again; anyone not wanting to use the split could ignore the Comment.

I hope these ideas are helpful. Thanks for your work on this component.

Post edited by: mpetrie, at: 2010/10/22 00:30
  | | Sorry, you do not currently have permission to write here.
turminator

Re:Admin Panel Suggestions - 2010/10/22 15:15 Uhmm!

Are very interesting all your suggestions but 1 I think that its most important. I added more than 1500 terms and the time to do this is incredible. I think that a import/export CSV function are great.

Many thanks!
mpetrie

Re:Admin Panel Suggestions - 2010/10/22 15:44 Hi,

After posting this I went into the back-end of the old RD-Glossary - first time in ages, and it's appearence is similar to how I'd suggested your version could be improved. May be worth a look or I could grab and post a screenshot if you like.

It took me long enough to do 60, but now I need to open each one to work out and add cross reference links to other entries, and to add in the 'headword(s)' because of the lack of diffinition (headword) and comment (or expanded deffinition) fields.

thanks again for updating the original and for considering suggestions for further updates.
admin

Re:Admin Panel Suggestions - 2010/10/26 16:44 Thanks for the suggestions.

What is the need for CSV import? You can do CSV import to the xxx_glossary table using phpMyAdmin.
Martin Brampton aka Counterpoint
http://aliro.org
http://black-sheep-research.com
turminator

Re:Admin Panel Suggestions - 2010/10/26 16:55 Hi Martin!

I search information about it and you says that its possible to do trought phpMyAdmin but for me and maybe for other users this can be difficult and not easy and it's very interesting to have got some friendly UI to do this.
mpetrie

Re:Admin Panel Suggestions - 2010/10/26 19:09 Before attempting this in phpMyAdmin you need to know what goes into which field and its format. This goes back to another poster's request for a manual. If the SQL scripts were provided in the control panel. and a note of what goes where for the import, it would be much easier for the general user of the Glossary.

Regards

Save FM Radio

Login

Subscribe to Premium Support

Get priority support for Remository and Glossary, sign up now for a Premium Support monthly subscription:

Your Remository user name

Or purchase a year's support:

Your Remository user name